What do you want to wear today?
Something warm, something fresh, something else ;)?
This weather is quite anoying because we never know what to wear…
It’s not hot enough for the marvellous spring clothes you have waiting in your closet and it’s not cold enough for a complete winter outfit.
Plus you’re probably sick and tired of winter outfits (at least I am…).
But you don’t need to feel bad about what you wear, because there are easy solutions to create an outfit that:
- you can change as the temperature changes,
- feels like spring,
- looks awesome and stylish,
- makes you feel comfortable and happy about how you look (again)!
And there’s an upside to this unpredictable weather: you can create some creative looks combining Spring and Winter pieces.
So, without further ado here are…
5 Easy Ways to Create Fabulous Winter to Spring Outfits
1. Layer on Top
First things first. Let’s start with layers because they are the key to transition from winter to spring comfortably and in style. The weather is unpredictable but if you layer light and warm clothes you’ll have a look that you can change as the temperature rises (or falls).
So you can forget about heavy knits and other very warm pieces. Choose a light top, dress or knit instead and combine with warm pieces that you can take off when the temperature rises during the day (and put on when it falls again).
Here are the layers:
- Start with a thermal tee or basic top.
- Add a light top (t-shirt, blouse) + a light cardigan (or a light sweater or sweatshirt).
- Optional: A light jacket (blazer, leather jacket, denim jacket, …)
- If you’re still cold, wear a winter coat on top.
This way you will never feel too hot or cold during the day!
2. Wear Boots or Ankle Boots + a Dress, Skirt or Shorts
This creates a cool outfit, especially if it’s not too cold and you don’t need to wear tights. You can also wear socks or high socks (but to make it work you need to be absolutely confident about it)!
3. Change the Colors or Prints
In winter we usually wear darker colors, and in Spring / Summer, pastels, lighter colors or bright colors.
White bottoms are also more common on Spring and Summer.
And there are some typical Spring prints like flowers.
To create a lighter look wear a piece with a light or bright color or a Spring print and you’ll feel more Summer-ish.
4. Try Cropped (or Rolled Up Pants) + Ballet flats, Pumps or Ankle Boots
Show some ankle skin, it’s on trend and a great look for Spring. You can wear sheer tights or socks to feel warmer.
5. Wear scarfs
They keep your neck warm, add style and you can take them off easily in the afternoon when the temperature goes up (and put them in your bag).
5 Key Basic Pieces for Fabulous Winter to Spring Outfits
If you don’t have the basics for layering, here is a quick list. You can find all these basics at Zara, Mango, Top Shop, …
- Light cardigans in many colors, short and/or long (at least beige, black, grey, navy blue)
- Light Jacket like a Black Blazer, Leather jacket (in camel or black) or Denim Jacket
- A Trench coat (or army green parka)
- Ankle boots and Ballet flats
What Do You Think?
In the comments below I’d love to hear from you.
Did you learn something new on this post?
How do you make the transition from Winter to Spring? Do you have some style tips to share with other women?
P.S. If you liked this, don’t forget to share it!
Get the free chapter "10 Styling Rules to Create Amazing Outfits", from my style e-book