It’s when you work from home (or you’re a stay at home mom) that you need to be more careful about the way you look.
Because when you spend most of your time at home and you don’t have a formal job to go to, you can wear anything at all.
Nobody will see you anyway and there are lots of good reasons to stop caring about the way you look – like:
- you’ll have more time to work (or for your kids),
- you’ll save your clothes for important occasions,
- and you won’t have to decide what to wear every day.
The only problem is that if you don’t like the way you look, you don’t feel good. And that means you don’t perform as well, in your business or taking care of your kids.
On the other side, when you take care of your image you feel good about yourself and also more professional.
I spend most of my days at home, and I realised that having a morning routine where self-care is my top priority, is the key to starting my day the right way and being much more productive. It really makes all the difference.
Not too long ago I had a “wear at home clothes” drawer, full of leggings and t-shirts that were too old or baggy to wear outside. And that was when I didn’t spend most of my morning in my pajamas.
But now I always get dressed in my regular clothes before I start working. I’ve learned that I need to take care of myself first, because if I don’t feel good, nothing else works. There’s no way around it :).
Choosing a nice outfit every day, that makes you feel stylish and comfortable, should be an essencial part of your self-care routine.
Of course this doesn’t mean that I wear a complete suit to work at home ;). I also like to keep things simple and I have an “uniform” I usually wear. And the basis is one special piece that I recommend whether you work from home or spend your time chasing your kids: Leggings.
Leggings are great because they’re so comfortable, easy to wear and stylish. And they’re one of those trendy pieces that will be around for a lot more time.
You may think that leggings are kind of like sweat pants and that they won’t make you look stylish at all. Well, they can be as comfortable as sweat pants, for sure, but if you know how to wear them, they can look pretty pretty stylish ;)
- Always wear leggings with a long top to cover your butt. The easiest way to style them in Winter is with a large, long sweater (but not too long, or you look shorter). Another option is wearing a regular t-shirt or sweatshirt with a long cardigan (mixing different fabrics looks great).
- Leggings look great with most types of shoes: boots, ankle boots, ballet flats, sandals, and so on. When I’m working from home I love to wear my “ugg” style boots. Primark is a great place to buy them for a great price (and they have all the basic colours.)
- And on those days you don’t want to think at all, throw on black leggings with a large black sweater – it always looks cool.
Easy Styling for Leggings
Who Can Wear Leggings
Everyone can wear them. If you have large legs choose dark leggings – black, brown or blue are great options.
Where to Wear Them
At home of course, and everywhere, except for formal occasions. For parties or events choose leather leggings or jeggings that look like skinny jeans.
Choose The Right Leggings
- It’s important to choose the right leggings. I’m not talking about thin cotton leggings, like those you wear for the gym or sleeping. The fabric should be flexible but strong. Leather leggings are also comfortable. Zara has lots of models.
- Leggings should be tight but to work from home I like to choose a comfortable size that isn’t too tight.
- Another great option is jeggings – they’re denim leggings. Zara has lots of models and if you want to buy a softer fabric (and if you’re not very tall), try the kids section. The only problem is that they tend to lose their shape so buy them really tight.
In the comments below I’d love to know:
Do you like leggings? What do you usually wear at home?
P.S. If you want to know how to pick the right size for your tops, you can learn how with my 5 style secrets. Just enter your details in the pink header bar at the top of the page. They’re yours free.
P.S.S. Did you like this? Then please share it (click the buttons below)!
Photos: Lovely Pepa, Cheetah is the New Black, Trendy Taste, Thank Fifi, Girl With Curves, Pink Peonies
Get the free chapter "10 Styling Rules to Create Amazing Outfits", from my style e-book